Story Matters

Story Matters

THE Official HHS Football Site

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Highlands diver signs with elite program

Carly Hill at her signing day. 

Submitted Photos. Highlands senior Carly Hill dives in a meet last year. Hill owns the school's 1-meter diving record with 507.8 points and won the individual state crown last year. She recently signed with the University of Louisville.
By G. MICHAEL GRAHAM
Fort Thomas Matters Sports Reporter

Carly Hill has had an impressive career for years diving for the Highlands Ladybirds.
Hill fulfilled a dream recently signing to dive with the nationally-ranked University of Louisville squad. Hill won the 1-meter diving individual crown at the state meet last year with 439.35 points.

“I’ve always wanted to go to Louisville ever since I started going to the state diving meets there since the sixth grade,” Hill said. “I really liked the facilities there and I’ve also met the team. I really like the coach too. It’s far enough for me that I’ll be able to have the college experience without being so far away.”

Hill can concentrate on finishing her Highlands career strong. She broke the Highlands diving record as an eighth grader and set it again as a freshman with 507.8 points.

“It helps me relax now knowing that I have my college plans,” Hill said. “I’ll be able to have fun. Sometimes, that helps me dive better. I’m hoping to get some personal bests this year and just continue working hard to be ready for college diving.”

Her coach Jen Rehberger has enjoyed Hill’s work ethic over the years. Hill wants to see Highlands get more people out. The Ladybirds have been region runner-up in recent seasons and own five state championships in the 1960s.

“Carly is an excellent example for her teammates. They watch her consistently practice with dedication and compete with discipline,” Rehberger said. “Carly shares her hardworking and positive attitude with her teammates at practice and meets, always cheering them on and being the one they ‘go to’ for advice. She has grown into her role as a team leader and thrives at it.”  

Despite her success, Hill has areas she wants to improve on just like any athlete. Hill is focusing on jumping higher and tightening her entries.

“We hope to get more consistent and my dives will be good all the time and not on and off,” Hill said. “That will help me build my confidence as well.”

Hill wants to continue to be a good influence on the younger divers. Hill has competed at the state meet since the sixth grade.

“I’m able to mentor the younger swimmers and divers helping them stay focused,” Hill said. “We have a lot of fun together.”

One thing Highlands has going for all of its athletics is solid parent support. Hill’s mother Kelley has been a huge fan since the beginning. Her father is Darren Hill and she will enter Louisville's speed school of engineering.


“I have loved every minute of Carly’s diving,” Kelley Hill said. “Since day one, she has been focusing on technique and along with that, she’s such an awesome competitor. I’m so proud that she has the ability to balance all aspects of her life and will be able to continue her diving career at the University of Louisville."

Highlands finished 12th in the state girls swimming and diving meet last year scoring 62 points. Louisville Sacred Heart won it with 502 points and Notre Dame finished second with 225.

No comments:

Post a Comment